Virtual Servers for institutions (VPUs) is CARNET’s service primarily for full legal member organisations with fewer users.
Virtual server represents a complete replacement for existing CARNET servers on Linux-based member institutions, with all the advantages of virtualization technology. Servers are in CARNET system platform for continuous power supply and have daily backup of your vital files. Virtual servers provide all the necessary services as well as physical servers (DNS, web, mail, LDAP, anti-spam, anti-virus, etc.) that are part of the official CARNET Linux distribution.
Within the service, CARNET provides:
- installation and permanent maintenance of the operating system and associated core services on the server
- constant monitoring of server operation by automatic monitoring
- automatic daily backup of vital information from the server, including user data and associated e-mail
- network connection to the backbone of CARNET network
- transferring data from the existing server that is performed in cooperation with the member
- providing support to authorized persons through helpdesk
- respecting the security and privacy of the data on the server.
The institution is itself responsible for opening and updating the electronic identities in the AAI@EduHR system of its users on the server, entering content, users, adjusting the web pages, entering and updating DNS services, etc. If needed, the institution may request CARNET to increase resources assigned to the virtual server during the initial installation. Additional services may be installed on the facility server with the consent of CARNET, but for additional services, the institution should provide support itself.
How to Become a User
All member institutions can become service users. The service setup request is available here.